Monday, November 7, 2011

How I began to eat healthier foods

The book that got me on the road to healthy eating is The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.  I had tried reading it several times before without success because I found the chapters about corn and animal feedlots particularly upsetting. 

Finally, while my husband and I were visiting his family in Italy, I brought the book along.  Reading about how over-processed and unhealthy American food and meat can be made me wonder if it would be possible to eat delicious, local food at home as we do while we are in Italy.  I vowed to make changes in our eating habits when I returned home.  

Confusion set in when I start looking closely at ingredient labels at the grocery store.  I was astounded to discover how processed our food is, and how many ingredients are listed on items that should only contain one or two. It raised so many questions about how to successfully change the way we buy and eat food.  

On Tuesday night, November 8th, at 7:00 PM, local farmer Chris Yoder will be at the Wellesley Main Library to lead a discussion and answer questions about organic gardening, CSAs and our local food community.  Yoder grows organic vegetables on his 5-acre Vanguarden Farm in Dover, Mass. He’s also on the board of the Waltham Fields Community Farms.  Bring your questions, and be open to discussing everything from home gardening to regional food production. Please join us!


Janice Coduri, Library Director

No comments:

Post a Comment